This healthy vegetable risotto is not as creamy and cheesy as a good Italian risotto. But nutty tones from brown rice definitely make this dish taste earthy, wholesome and still very satisfying.
For this risotto with veggies, main ingredient are the mushrooms. I used regular champignon mushrooms but even brown or porcini would go nice.
Instead of a regular store-bought stock cube I made my own very simple and healthy stock. It is so simple and flavorful I actually feel bad that I used anything else before. But if you can find you can use a big of a healthy stock cube for this risotto.
For the veggies for this zucchini risotto, I like to use whatever I have in the fridge. But a good combination is brown onion, zucchini, celery root, carrot, parsley root and green pepper.
Just make sure and cut all the root vegetables in smaller pieces as they take longest to cook.
For serving for this mushroom risotto I added just a drizzle of olive oil for each serving. But you can also add some freshly chopped parsley too.
I tried making this vegetable risotto a few times. And each time I used different brand of brown rice. Some produce more creamy risotto than others. One I used for the video wasn’t as creamy. So, just keep trying until you find one you are happy with.
Healthy Vegetable RisottoCourse: One-Pot Meals, Savory dishes, Vegan, Vegeterian, Weight Loss Recipes
500 gr brown rice
500 gr mushrooms
1 brown onion
2 parsley roots
1 piece of celery root
1 green paprika
2 tbsp dried parsley
1 tbsp dried dill
Salad and olive oil to serve
- Fill medium size pot with water. Add in dried herbs. Turn heat to high then once stock starts to boil, reduce the heat to low and just keep it warm.
- Wash the rice and all the vegetables well.
- Peel onion, carrot, celery and parsley root and cut into smaller chunks. Cut mushroom and paprika into bigger chunks.
- To a big pot add all of the chopped vegetables. Add some water, then bring heat to medium-high. Cook until vegetables start to soften up.
- Add in the rice and then start adding vegetable stock one to two ladles at the time. When almost all the water gets absorbed, add more stock. Repeat until the rice is cooked al dente.
- Serve with a drizzle of olive oil and salad of course!
For more easy weight loss recipes check links below!