This is another one of my childhood favorites and mind-blowingly delicious and simple recipes – meat and greens rolls! In Serbian we call these sarmice od zelja.
There are a few steps in the process, but it all gets done relatively fast. In around 45 minutes.
If you can’t find monk rhubarb to make these meat rolls you can make the same recipe using swiss chard or bigger leaves of spinach.
Traditionally these rolls with greens are made with a piece of meat with more fat and are served with fermented milk and bread. To make these healthy I used lean piece of meat – beef leg and served these with salad. And they are just as delicious!
I also suggest making bigger batch of these tasty meat recipe for weight loss. They make for the best leftovers! And if you have the filling over, you can use it to stuff peppers, zucchini or even to make moussaka.
If you enjoyed this meat and greens diet recipe for weight loss, leave me a comment and let me know.
Meat And Greens RollsCourse: Savory dishes, Weight Loss Recipes
Around 24 leaves of munk rhubarb (you can use swiss chard or bigger leaves of spinach instead)
1 brown onion
3 stalks of celery
400 gr minced lean piece of red meat, I used beef leg
1 tsp dryed parsley
1 tsp dried dill
1 tsp ground paprika
1 dl water + more for the leaves
100 gr brown rice
Salad for serving
2 tbsp olive oil
- Rinse the rice well, place in a medium size pot, cover with three times more water. Turn heat to high. Once the water comes to a boil, reduce heat to simmering point and cook until al dente.
- Chop onion and celery finely. Grate the carrot.
- To a medium size pot add water and the chopped vegetables. Cook until vegetables start to soften up.
- Add in the meat and cook until it develops some color. Then add in dried parsley, dill, ground paprika and salt. Mix well and cook until the meat is cooked through. This takes a couple of minutes.
- Turn the heat off. Add in cooked rice and mix to combine.
- While mixture is cooling proceed with the leaves.
- Remove hard middle part on the back side of each leaf. Wash each leaf and place them on top of each other in an oven form.
- Bring a medium size pot of salted water to boil. Poor over the leaves and leave in the water for around 1 minute or until the leaves become more bendable. Discard the cooking water. Poor over with cold water to stop the cooking process. Discard cold water too.
- Take each individual leaf and place a spoonful or one and a half at the base of each leaf. Then fold over closer end of the leaf, both sides and then roll into a tight roll.
- Place all the rolls in a single layer, in a pan with high sides.
- Bring small pot with water to boil. Poor over the boiling water over the rolls, half way up.
- Place the pan on to medium-high heat. Cover with a lid.
- Once water starts to boil, remove the lid then lightly salt the rolls. Cover with the lid and continue simmering until all the water evaporates and leaves become tender.
- Serve with lots of green salad and enjoy!
For more easy and healthy recipes check the links below!