Nothing like finding a healthy alternative to a staple recipe like ajvar. Ajvar is a Serbian side dish made with peppers and aubergine. It is now getting more popular around the world. And for a good reason. It is just SO GOOD! Growing up I remember it was always on the table. And just because it goes well with everything – vegetarian, vegan, meat dishes, with starters… This ajvar recipe I am sharing today is a healthy version. It tastes just as delicious, in fact even more delicious than the original recipe!
This ajvar recipe healthy is way faster and easier to make. The only difference is it keeps in the refrigerator for a few days as oppose to months. But because there is not much work making it, it is also a plus that you can always serve it fresh.
I like to use pointy red peppers for this ajvar recept. Their flesh is tastier and more delicate in comparison to bell peppers. But of course, if you can’t find pointy red peppers, bell peppers will work fine.
A little tip when making this ajvar recept od pecenih paprika, is use a baking paper. Vegetables will release juices during baking, which then stick to the pan and are hard to remove. So, for easier cleanup just use a piece of baking paper. Before, I was using aluminum foil. But since I found out it is unhealthy when aluminum foil comes in contact with warm food I stopped doing that.
To enjoy this ajvar zdrav recept to the fullest I like to serve it on a piece of home made bread for weight loss. But it goes perfect with moussaka, meat and potatoes, gibanica…
If you enjoyed this how to make ajvar recipe, leave me a comment and let me know!
Ajvar recipeCourse: Appetizers, Breakfast, Dinner, Savory dishes, Serbian recipes, Vegan, Vegeterian, Weight Loss Recipes
1tbsp olive oil
- Wash and dry aubergine and peppers. Place them onto a baking dish lined with baking paper. Using a tip of a knife, pierce the aubergine all around.
- Bake in the preheated oven at 250C for around 40 minutes or until the aubergine is soft and peppers are mostly chared. Turn the vegetable a couple of times during baking. Take out of the oven and leave to cool down a bit.
- Remove the skin and the seeds from peppers. Place in a bowl.
- Cut of the top part of aubergine. Then remove the skin and place in a bowl with peppers.
- Using a hand mixer, blend until smooth. Season with salt and olive oil and briefly mix ones more.
For more weight loss recipes check the links below!