This Healthy Italian bean soup has been my go to forever. It is so easy to make and perfect for weekday and batch cooking.
For this Italian bean soup recipe I am using cannellini beans. But any beans you like will work.
As I am using vegetable broth this Italian bean soup recipe vegetarian is vegetarian. But you can use chicken stock if you prefer too.
There are a lot of veggies in this bean soup recipe vegetarian. And you can use any veggies you like. Even some broccoli or green beans would be nice.
This is very basic bean soup recipe. But there is so much beauty in this simple recipe. You can serve it as is, with some freshly baked bread, which I did in this post. That is the best combination! You can even serve some pan fried meat on a side or a tomato, cucumber and red onion salad. I love it with sauercrout too!
This soup is also bean soup recipes vegan or vegan bean soup recipe. So, it is one of my options for my two days per week when I am eating only plant based food.
This Healthy Italian bean soup will leave you feeling light and refreshed. Because there are so many vegetables this is very exciting dish to eat and look at.
If you make this soup leave me a comment and let me know how you liked it. If you post a picture on Instagram, tag me. I would love to see your work! And for more food inspo check out my Pinterest account!
Healthy Italian bean soup
500 gr cannellini beans from a can
1 brown onion
3 celery stalks
4 medium potatoes
2 handfuls cauliflower fresh or frozen
2 garlic cloves
1-1,5 L vegetable stock
2 tbsp olive oil (optional)
1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil per person per serving
Handful chopped celery leaves
Handful chopped parsley
1 tsp dried thyme
Salt and pepper to taste
- Wash, peel and cut potatoes into bite size pieces, carrots into chunkier bits, onion and garlic not too finely.
- In a medium size pot, heat up olive oil on medium-high heat. For healthier alternative use water.
- Add onion and thyme and cook until onion is soft. Add carrots, cauliflower and celery and cook until they start to soften. Add garlic and cook until it becomes fragrant.
- Add beans, potatoes and broth. Bring to boil then reduce the heat to simmering point and cook until potatoes are cooked through. This takes around 10 minutes. Just before serving add parsley, season to taste and stir.
- Serve warm with a drizzle of extra virgin olive oil and some chopped celery leaves on top.
For more vegetarian recipes check the links bellow!