If I didn’t know I would never have guessed that this chocolate quinoa cake was made with quinoa and that is healthy because it tastes like a dream! Especially the frosting, it blows me away!
This chocolate quinoa cake is intensely chocolaty, light and airy, moist, very sweet. Frosting is so creamy and silky and just a little sweet from the chocolate. So, the two complement each other nicely!
More about the frosting.. If you have seen more of my recipes and videos, then you may have noticed I like desserts. And traditional desserts have a LOT of sugar and butter. Especially cake and cupcake frosting, you can always tell there is a ton of powdered sugar and butter. Frosting for this cake is made with coconut milk and dark chocolate, it´s silky smooth, still sweet, and irresistible! My favorite by far!
So, in comparison, there is no greasy buttery aftertaste when you eat this cake or feeling of heaviness.
I hope you try and make this cake. It´s a bonus that it is quick and easy to make. And I believe this will be your new go-to chocolate cake. It really is that good!
Healthy chocolate quinoa cakeCourse: Healthy Desserts
5 dl cooked quinoa (1,75 dl dried)
1 tsp vanilla
0,8 dl oat milk
1,8 dl melted coconut oil
3 dl cocoa powder
3 dl coconut sugar
1,5 tsp baking powder
0,5 tsp baking soda
Pinch of salt
180 gr dark chocolate
1 can (400 ml) full fat coconut milk
- Leave coconut milk in refrigerator over night. Preheat oven to 200 °C. Line 25cm round oven form with baking paper.
- The cake
- Cook quinoa according to instructions on the packaging and let cool completely.
- In a big bowl sift together cacao, sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Stir briefly.
- In a blender or food processor add eggs at room temperature, milk, vanilla then mix just to combine. Add cooled quinoa and mix for few seconds more just until combined.
- Add wet ingredients to dry and mix with spatula just until evenly incorporated.
- Transfer to baking dish and bake for around 30-35minutes or until toothpick inserted comes out clean.
- Leave to cool.
- The frosting
- Take coconut milk out of the refrigerator, open and scoop out the solid parts. Place in a small pot, add chocolate then melt on medium heat. Stir all the time to make sure chocolate does not burn. When coconut milk and chocolate have melted transfer to a big bowl, let cool on kitchen counter then place in the refrigerator to harden. This takes around 4 hours.
- Take the frosting mixture out of the refrigerator and mix using electric mixer until fluffy. This takes just under one minute.
- Place cake on a serving plate then using a palette knife, spread a thin layer of frosting on top.
- This cake keeps in the refrigeration for a few days!