This vegan bean stew recipe or buranija as we call it is my childhood on a plate! And this is my type of food – light vegetable stew, mild in flavor and something I never can get bored of.
For this dish my grandma used frozen yellow beans. She likes to pre-cook them just to get rid of any impurities. But you can skip this step. Instead, you can just wash the beans under running water, drain and then just add to the rest of the vegetables.
And if you skip the pre-cooking of the beans this becomes an easy vegan stew recipe. Which you can prepare in under 30 minutes. Cooking time depends on how quickly beans and the potatoes cook.
I like to serve this vegan bean stew with Serbian pavlaka. Pavlaka is a daily product, thick and a little sour. Instead you can use sour cream, crème fraiche and even Greek style yogurt. Also, you need a piece of bread to soak up the juices with! In Serbia, I like to use simple and very soft white bread. But any sort of bread will go beautifully with this vegan bean stew recipe.
I prefer this yellow beans vegan recipe just as is, with no meat. If you can not without meat, like my grandma, then you can serve the meat on a side. Roasted, grilled, fried -it doesn’t matter, they all go well with the beans!
If you enjoyed watching this veggie stew with grandma and would like to see more, I have a Serbian recipes playlist on my youtube channel which you can check out!
For more food inspo like this easy veggie stew recipe, check out my Instagram where I post daily and my Pinterest account.
For more posts like this how to cook yellow beans, leave me a comment and let me know.
Vegan Bean Stew Recipe
1 brown onion
1 root of parsley
Chunk of root of celery
Piece of German turnip
1,5 kr yellow beans, fresh or frozen
2 garlic cloves
1 tsp ground paprika
1 tsp dill
Pinch of ground ginger
2 tbsp oil
For serving – pavlaka/crème fraiche/gräddfil/non dairy alternative and some bread
- Cut onion and garlic finely. Then cut root vegetables into smaller chunks, about as thick as the beans.
- Chop paprika and tomatoes into bigger chunks. Peel, wash and cut potatoes into smaller chunks.
- Fill one medium and one large pot with water and bring to boil.
- To another large pot add oil and a splash of water. Add chopped onion and cook until soft.
- Add in root vegetables and cook until they start to soften. Keep adding warm water from the medium pot, to help vegetables cook.
- Add in paprika chunks and ground paprika. Mix and keep adding water if needed.
- To a large pot with cooking water add the yellow beans. Cook just for a couple of minutes, to get rid of ay impurities. Drain, rinse under with cold water and drain again. This step is optional. You can also just wash the beans using tap water.
- Add the drained beans to the softened vegetables. Stir briefly.
- Add in ginger and dill. And stir again.
- Add in potatoes, tomatoes and the chopped garlic. Stir. Add more of the warm water, just enough to cover all of the vegetables.
- Continue cooking until potatoes are cooked through.
- Serve warm with a dollop of pavlaka/crème fraiche and a piece of bread.
For more Serbian recipes check the links below!
Baked Beans From Scratch – Vegan
Sweet Pasta – How To Make Pasta Dessert
Fruit Cake With Yogurt – Serbian Plum Cake