If you are looking for filling and juicy vegetarian moussaka then this one is definitely it!
This is also vegetarian moussaka lentils. Lentils act as a meat replacement and they kind of look like minced meat. They are pretty neutral and take on any flavour/spices you add to the dish. Lentils are also cheaper than meat which is a plus.
I also used aubergine for this vegetarian moussaka recipe. And aubergine also act as a meat replacement. As it is very meaty vegetable. You can also use zucchini instead of aubergine.
I would also call this vegetarian moussaka recipe healthy. I used coconut oil for frying but you can replace it with water. And you can bake aubergine in the oven in that case.
It is not necessary to use ricotta for this vegetarian moussaka recipe with ricotta. You can replace it with Greek yogurt. But ricotta add creaminess and more body to the sauce.
I am trying to eat less meat and find alternatives to classic dishes like this Traditional Serbian Moussaka. So, one of those is this meatless moussaka.
If you have any requests for me to post vegetarian/vegan option to classic recipes with meat, leave me a comment and I would be happy to post a recipe!
You can serve this lentil moussaka with pickles, cabbage salad or just simple Iceberg salad with sweet corn as I did. This moussaka is very hearty and therefor it goes well paired with crunchy and light salad.
Vegetarian MoussakaCourse: Savory dishes, Vegeterian
130 gr green lentils
1 red onion
1 red pepper
3 cloves of garlic
2 heaping tbsp tomato puree
400 gr chopped tomatoes
2 tbsp chopped parsley
4-5 medium potatoes
3 tbsp coconut oil
Salt & peppar
Water for lentils
- For the sauce
125 gr Ricotta
125 gr Greek yogurt
100-200 ml milk
Salt & peppar
- Preheat the oven to 180°C.
- Wash lentils. Place them in a smaller pan, cover with water. Bring to boil then reduce heat to simmering point. Cook under the lock until cooked through. This takes around 20 minutes. Drain.
- Cut onion, garlic and pepper finely. Cut aubergine and potatoes into slices.
- Add a tablespoon of oil to a large pan. Turn heat to medium high. Place half of the aubergine slices in the pan, single layer. Cook until they start to soften and develop some color on both sides. This takes around 3 minutes per side. Repeat with the second half.
- In the same pan add rest of the oil. Keep heat on medium-high. Add onion, pepper and garlic and cook until they start to soften. 4-5 minutes.
- Add tomato puree, stir until combined and cook for 1 minute, just until it warms up.
- Add chopped tomatoes, stir. Simmer for 4-5 minutes.
- Add cooked lentils, parsley and stir. Season to taste then set aside.
- In a medium size bowl mix all of the ingredients for the sauce.
- Spread a few tablespoons of the sauce over the bottom of an oven pan (22x29cm).
- Layer over cooked aubergine slices, in a single layer. Scatter over half of the lentil filling. Follow with the second layer and the rest of the aubergine. Top with the second half of the lentil filling.
- Layer over potato slices, in a single layer and pour over the sauce.
- Bake for around 60 minutes or until potatoes are cooked through and top is golden brown.
- Serve warm with some salad.
For more recipes with lentils check out links bellow!