Jump to Recipe
How beautiful are these beans?! They are filling, without meat-which is always a plus for me! They go with everything-spring green leaf salads, pickles, yogurt, bread.. As a starter or a main dish. And they taste even better after a day or two!
Baked beansCourse: Vegeterian
500 gr white beans
1 garlic clove
2-3 red peppers
1 tsp dill
1 bay leaf
Olive oil ca 2 dl
2 tsp ground paprika
- Wash the beans then place them in a pot, cover with water and leave over night.
- Discard the water beans have been in over night and cover with fresh water. Bring to boil, cook for around 3-5min or until foam appears. Discard the cooking water. Do this once or up to 4 times.
- Transfer beans to a larger pot, add plenty of water and place on a high heat. Bring to boil then reduce heat, put on a lid and simmer.
- In the meantime, cut leek into thin slices. Separate the layers. Add them to the simmering beans and stir only at the top. Do not stir the beans underneath. Put the lid back on and continue simmering.
- In the meantime, peel garlic and leave whole. Wash peppers and remove the top part and the seeds. Add both to simmering beans. Add dill and bay leaf.
- Start checking if the beans are cooked/soft after 1 hour. It can take 2 hour or more depending on the beans.
- When the beans are cooked through add salt and bring to boil once more.
- Remove the peppers from the boiling water. Peel them or leave the skin on but cut them into bigger pieces.
- Remove the pot with the beans from the heat.
- Add oil to the bottom of an oven form, around 3-5 tablespoons. Add a couple of ladles of water where beans have been cooking and spread the oil evenly around the pan. Add the beans and cover with cooking water. How thick the baked beans will be depends on how much water you add.
- In a small pan heat up around 1,5dl of olive oil. Oil should be warm and not too hot. To it, add ground paprika and stir. Add to the beans and stir so that it´s distributed evenly throughout the pan.
- Add bayleaf that has been cooking with the beans and pieces of peppers.
- Bake at 180°C for around 40min or until sauce thickens and everything look more brown.