I was thinking of making alternative to chicken noodle soup – like a healthier version without the noodles. I still wanted soup to be filling. And then I saw all the pearled barley I had waiting to be used. So, I used it instead of noodles. I made the soup countless times since! This chicken barley soup is way better than the one with noodles. It tastes healthier and richer. And it’s more filling.
For this chicken barley soup recipe, I used chicken breasts but I tried it with the thighs and it tastes just as good. I just thing the shredded chicken breasts look better.
And since I used barley instead of noodles and water instead of oil this is also healthy chicken barley soup and a low-calorie chicken and barley soup. Barley is actually good and nutritious to consume if you are watching your calorie intake. It thickens the soup which is why it turns out more filling.
For veggies, for this healthy chicken and pearl barley soup I used lots or carrots and celery. You can also use broccoli if you like. And save the celery leaves to serve on top. They look pretty and add a nice fresh touch.
And if you are using pre made stock, like I did, this easy chicken and barley soup comes together in around 30 minutes. Which means, I make it a lot during weekdays.
And I make this healthy chicken soup with vegetables in big batch because it just tastes better next day or day after.
Chicken Barley SoupCourse: One-Pot Meals, Savory dishes
3 chicken breasts
2,5 l chicken or vegetable stock
1 brown onion
5 celery stalks
2 garlic cloves
180 gr pearled barley
1 tsp dried thyme
Salt & pepper
- Chop onion and garlic finely and carrots and celery into bigger chunks.
- To a large pot add four tablespoons of water. Add chopped vegetables, stir and cook until they start to soften.
- Add thyme and stir for around one minute or until it becomes fragrant.
- Add chicken, barley and stock. Stir then bring to boil. Once soup is boiling, reduce heat to simmering point, cover and cook until chicken and barley are cooked through. This takes around 20-30 minutes.
- Remove chicken from the soup and shred, using two forks, into bite size chunks. Transfer back to the soup, stir and adjust the seasoning if needed.
- Serve warm with some chopped celery leaves on top.
For more Autumn inspired recipes, check links bellow!