There is a very subtle curry flavor in this lentil soup with curry but I guess you could call it lentil soup Indian style too. So, this one is also how to make lentil soup Indian style or how to cook lentil soup Indian style too.
For the spices for this lentil soup with curry and cumin I used curry and cumin. Both very earthy and perfect any soups of stews spices.
You can use any greens for this lentil soup with kale. I prefer to use kale because it holds its shape well and I like the taste of it. But you can use spinach and make it into lentil soup with spinach instead.
When ever I am making soups or stews and recipe calls for carrots, I add a lot! I prefer cooked carrots and they add a nice color too. So, this is also lentil soup with kale and carrots.
To add a little brightness to this lentil soup with lemon I like to add a generous squeeze of lemon in the end. You can serve wedges on a side too.
This easy lentil soup recipe healthy is pretty healthy to begin with. If you want to make this curry lentil soup recipe even healthier you can just use water instead of oil to fry the onions and carrots.
Lentil soup with curry and kale and lemonCourse: Savory dishes, Vegan, Vegeterian
4 tbsp oil
1 brown onion
4 cloves of garlic
½ tsp dried thyme
2 tsp ground cumin
1 tsp curry powder
500 gr diced tomatoes from a can
230 gr brown lentils
1 L + 250 ml vegetable stock
500 ml water
200 gr kale or spinach
Salt&pepper to taste
Chili flakes to taste
½ lemon juice
To serve – 200 gr crème fraiche/pavlaka/gräddfil, more chili flakes, a handful od fresh parsley leaves and a few tbsp of olive oil
- Chop onion and garlic not to finely. Cut carrots into smaller chunks. Wash and rinse lentils. Chop kale into bite size chunks.
- Add oil to a large pan and heat up to medium-high. Then add chopped onion and carrots. Cook until onion is translucent. This takes around 5 minutes.
- Add in garlic, thyme, cumin and curry and stir just to warm up the spices. This takes about 30 seconds.
- Add diced tomatoes and stir for another 30 seconds.
- Add lentils, broth and the water. Season with salt, pepper and chili. Bring to boil then reduce heat to simmering point. Cook until lentils are cooked through and still hold their shape. This takes around 20-25 minutes.
- For thicker consistency puree a couple of ladles of the soup. Easiest is to use hand mixer and just puree in one section of the pot.
- Turn of the heat. Add kale, put the lid on and let it sit for a couple of minutes. This way kale wont get overcooked and will keep its shape and bright color. Add a squeeze of lemon and serve warm.
- To serve add a spoonful of crème fraiche on top, more chili flakes, some fresh parsley leaves and a drizzle of olive oil.
For more easy soup recipes check out links bellow!