I posted many apple recipes so far, this season. And I was thinking of more ideas, what more I can make with apples… And then this brilliant idea, to join donuts and apples, came to mind. This is why I love cooking and experimenting. These apple donuts with cinnamon are, now that I have tried them twice and have had time to reflect, one of my best recipes I have ever made!
For the donuts I used my basic donuts recipe. Really simple one to follow.
For apples, for these apple doughnuts, I used again, granny smith. Tartness goes really nicely with the sweet donuts and I like how well they hold their shape. But of course, use any kind you prefer.
For spices for this apple donuts recipe, I used cinnamon and for sugar muscovado. It gives delicate caramelly flavor which I like and think complements well rest of the flavors.
When it comes to size of the donuts and shape, I think that these square, two bite size work well. Since these are apple stuffed donuts, it means that you get more with each bite, so I chose to keep them on a smaller side.
These apple cinnamon donuts are the best served warm. But even the next day they taste beautiful!
If you are enjoying and would like to see more of this kind of apple dessert posts, leave me a comment and let me know!
For more food inspo check out my Instagram where I post daily and my Pinterest account!
Apple DonutsCourse: Desserts
180 ml milk
2,5 tsp dry jeast
50 gr caster sugar
3 egg yolks
½ tsp vanilla
30 gr butter
1 lemon zest
¼ tsp salt
330 gr flour + some for the working board
Vegetable oil for frying
Caster sugar and cinnamon for coating
4 Granny Smith apples
2 tbsp muscovado sugar
1 lemon juice
1-2 tsp cinnamon
- Place milk in a small pot. Heat up until finger warm. Melt butter. Zest lemon.
- To a big bowl add warm milk, sugar and yeast. Stir briefly with a spoon then leave until bubbles form. This takes around 10 minutes.
- To the yeast add melted butter, egg yolks and vanilla. Mix in, using a wooden spoon just until combined.
- Add lemon zest and salt and mix once more.
- To the mixture add sifted flour in two batches. Mix after each addition, using a wooden spoon. Mix just until you no longer can see any more raw flour.
- Transfer the dough to a very well oiled big bowl. Cover with a kitchen towel and leave in a warm place until it doubles in size. This takes between 1 – 2 hours.
- Lightly dust working board with some flour. Place dough on top of it. Dust more flour on top of the dough. Using a rolling pin, roll out the dough pretty thinly. Cut into around 30 squares.
- Spread them apart, so that they have space to grow. Cover with a kitchen towel and leave to rise once more for around 30 minutes.
- In the meantime prepare the filling. Peel and chop apples into smaller chunks. Juice the lemon.
- To a medium size pot add apple chunks, muscovado sugar, lemon juice and cinnamon. Stir and cook on medium until lemon juice has absorbed, apples start to soften and still hold their shape. Remove from the heat.
- Fill small pot, 1/3 of the way with oil. Bring temperature up to 170 °C. Carefully, place three doughnuts, one at the time, in the hot oil. Fry for around 30 seconds on each side or until golden brown.
- Drain on a kitchen towel. Then roll in the cinnamon sugar mixture.
- Cut off one end of each doughnut. Make a whole in the middle and stuff with apple chunks.
- Serve warm with some more muscovado sugar, cinnamon and some powdered sugar.
For more apple recipe check the links bellow!