One of the most memorable travels, my husband and I have made, is definitely our trip to Japan. It wasn´t only a trip to a different continent and country far away from where we live, it felt like we were on another planet. Everything was new – smell of the air, colour of the sky, the way people live, dress, landscapes, food…
Just the food was discovery of it´s own! I have never seen that many types of fish, especially tuna at the fish markets. Dessert are not as sweet as we are used to so, that took some adjustment! Rice never tasted better! And the broths and soups were so clear and flavourful and without a drop of oil in sight. I really enjoyed food in Japan!
I obviously used this trip as inspiration for this Japanese fish soup recipe!
For this Japanese fish head soup, for the broth I recommend using whole fish, because head and bones will give the broth a lot of flavour. But I have been making it with just the fillets and it works too. Also, use as many pieces of kombu as you like.
For this Japanese fish soup with noodles I used these delicate Japanese ramen noodles. I thought they match the rest of the colours of this dish nicely.
This is a very simple Japanese fish noodle soup recipe which you can make in under 30 minutes so it is a perfect quick and healthy meal.
What I love about this Japanese fish broth soup is how with only a handful of ingredients you can get deep flavourful broth.
This is a very simple fish soup recipe, but the result is anything but. Flavourful broth, noodles, light pieces of fish, crunchy vegetables, some heat for the chili and bright citrusy tones make it irresistible!
Japanese fish soupCourse: Savory dishes
1 white fish, I am using Orata
1 stock cube
2,5 l water
1 piece of kombu seaweed
200 gr Japanese ramen noodles
4 spring onions
100 gr snap peas
100 gr bean sprouts
- Peel carrots and cut into thin strips. Cut cucumber into strips, spring onions into thin slices and finely chop chili. Wash snap peas and bean sprouts. Cut lime into wedges.
- Remove fish scales, gills and entrails.
- In a large pot place water, stock cube, kombu and fish. Bring to boil then reduce heat to simmering point and cook until fish is cooked through. This takes between 15 – 20 minutes.
- Remove the kombu and fish from the broth.
- Remove fish head and tail as well as all the bones. Tear the meat into bite size chunks.
- Cook noodles according to the instructions on the packaging.
- Cover bottom of a plate or bowl with noodles. Pour over the broth. Then add a handful of pieces of fish and all the toppings.
- Serve warm and enjoy!