Jump to Recipe
Growing up I had moussaka often and in our family it is usually my grandma who makes it so this is her recipe. This is also basic moussaka recipe which I added chili to because I like spicy food and bacon slices for deeper flavor. Bacon slices also make for a pretty presentation.
MoussakaCourse: Savory dishes, Serbian recipes
Around 1 kg potatoes
450 gr ground meat (I use pork and beef)
3 dl creme fresh
350 ml milk, enough to cover potatoes and meat filling
1 yellow onion
3 garlic cloves
2 tbsp olive oil
150 gr bacon slices
- Wash, peal and cut potatoes into thick rings.
- Chop onion and garlic finely. Chop parsley.
- In a pot, heat up the olive oil then add onion and garlic and cook until onion is translucent and garlic is fragrant.
- Add chili and cook for 10seconds more then add the meat. Break the meat using wooden spoon and cook just until cooked though. Add salt, pepper and ground paprika.
- In a bowl combine creme fresh, eggs, milk, salt and pepper.
- Cover bottom of an oven pan with potato slices, then cover with milk mixture. Top and evenly spread all of the meat mixture then finish with another layer of potato slices, cover with milk mixture and bacon slices.
- Bake in the preheated oven at 200 °C for around 50min or until top is golden brown and potatoes are cooked through.