Just imagine combination of sweet ripe bananas, crunchy walnuts, and that ridiculously sweet and smooth frosting with the moist cake. This banana walnut cake is beautiful in its simplicity! So, if you have ripe bananas, I highly encourage you to try this one out!
This banana cake recipe makes three 22 cm tin cakes. I made the cake using two layers because I was giving away one to a friend. I made one smaller and higher cake and put some frosting on it. But if you use three tins then you’re your cakes/layers will be thinner than mine in the video. And it will look beautiful whichever way you choose!
To give this banana cake recipe with yogurt moisture, I used yogurt, but you can use kefir or buttermilk. Any cake with yogurt turns out moist and delicious. Which is why I have lots of recipes like this banana walnut cake. You can also make your own buttermilk. Just mix in one tablespoon of white wine vinegar to 230 ml of milk. Then let it sit for around ten minutes until it curdles. Then you can use it to make the cake batter. 😉
This banana cake with walnuts and cinnamon doubles up as autumnal recipe. Scent of cinnamon is discreet but you can definitely smell it.
Now for the frosting for this banana cake recipe with frosting. It is the best part! It´s not actually. The combination of the cake and the frosting is the best. But how simple frosting elevates simple banana bread is fascinating to me. This cake is just so good!
I used cream cheese frosting for this banana cake with cream cheese frosting. I like its rich taste. And that little bit of salt in the frosting is crucial! It cuts through the sweetness, lifts the flavors and makes the frosting interesting to eat! Brilliant, if you ask me. You can control how thick the frosting is with the amount of powdered sugar you use. So, if you want to be able to pipe it on top of the cake to decorate, then I would add some more sugar. This banana walnut cake with cream cheese frosting is also very easy to make and put together.
To decorate I used whole nuts but you can use chopped as well. You can use banana slices too. Just make sure to serve the cake right away in that case. And you can always sprinkle some lemon juice on the banana slices to keep them looking fresh for longer. Also, some shredded coconut on top of the cake would look nice. And overall, this cake is a great way to use ripe bananas, right?!
For more food inspo check out my Instagram where I post daily and my Pinterest account.
Banana Walnut CakeCourse: Desserts
5 ripe bananas – 500 gr
750 gr flour
2 tsp baking powder
2 tsp baking soda
2 tsp cinnamon
2 tsp vanilla
1 tsp salt
340 gr butter at room temp.
400 gr caster sugar
200 gr brown sugar
6 eggs at room temp.
720 ml yogurt/kefir/buttermilk
240 gr cream cheese at room temp.
130 gr butter at room temp.
700 gr powdered sugar
1 tsp vanilla
½ tsp salt
Walnuts for decoration
- Preheat oven to 180 °C.
- Mash bananas. Sift flour.
- In a big bowl add flour, cinnamon, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Mix until combined.
- In a big bowl add butter and mix using electric mixer until smooth. This takes around 1 minutes. Add both kind of sugar and mix until combined. This takes around 2 minutes.
- Add eggs, vanilla and mix until combined. Add mashed bananas and mix in briefly.
- Add dry ingredients in three stages, alternating with the yogurt. Mix in briefly, for a couple of seconds after each addition. Don´t over mix.
- Divide batter between three 22 cm cake tins.
- Bake until toothpick inserted comes out clean. This takes around 55 minutes.
- Leave to cool completely. Then using a bread knife, cut off the top (dome) part to level out the surface of each cake.
- For the frosting.
- Add cream cheese and butter to a big bowl. Mix using electric mixer until combined, smooth and pale. This takes 2 minutes.
- Add sifted powdered sugar, vanilla and salt in two to three stages. Beat well in between, around 4 minutes.
- Place first layer of cake on a serving plate. Spread a few dollops of frosting over. Layer second cake on top. Then add another thick layer of frosting. Decorate with walnuts.
- Leave in the fridge to harden, for at least 30 minutes before serving.
For more desserts with fruit check the links bellow!
Best Ever Apple Cake With Brown Butter And Buckwheat
Blueberry Muffins With Lemon Glaze And Crumble Topping
Fruit Cake With Yogurt – Serbian Plum Cake