This is the ultimate sweet and sour combination! This cake is so moist and full of lemon! It almost tastes refreshing and if perfect for Summer too.
I really like poppy seeds in this cake. They make cake visually interesting and add a different texture too.
If you want thicker glaze on top just keep adding on. Then you can leave it plane or add some poppy seeds and lemon zest like I did.
I make this cake all year around, but it really is best during summer. With the bright taste and pops of yellow on the glaze.
Lemon drizzle cake recipe easy with poppy seedsCourse: Desserts
55 gr unsalted butter at room temperature
60 gr flour
1 tsp baking powder
55 gr caster sugar
2 eggs at room temperature
90 gr ground almonds
20 gr poppy seeds
1 lemon, juice and zest
50 gr caster sugar
45 gr lemon juice
1 lemon, just the zest
Pinch or two of poppy seeds
- In a large bowl add butter and sugar and mix using electric mixes until smooth. Add the first egg and mix in briefly just until combined. Add the second egg and mix until frothy.
- In a small bowl combine flour and baking powder and sift in the egg mixture. (In the video I was too lazy so I skipped sifting part. Works too. :D)
- Add ground almonds, poppy seeds and lemon juice and using spatula mix until combined.
- Transfer mixture to a loaf tin lined with baking paper.
Bake at 180°C for around 40minutes or until toothpick inserted comes out with a few crumbs.
- Leave cake too cool slightly. Then poke many wholes using a toothpick.
- In the meantime prepare the syrup. To a small pot add sugar and lemon juice, bring to simmering point and cook until sugar dissolves. Pour over the cake and let it absorb the juices.
- In the meantime prepare the glaze. In a small bowl add powdered sugar and lemon juice. Mix using a spoon until smooth.
- Transfer the cake to serving dish or to a wire rack. Drizzle over with the glaze and let it harden.
- To decorate sprinkle over with some more poppy seeds and lemon zest.
- Cut into slices and enjoy!