Today I am sharing one of my favourite chicken recipes, chicken cacciatore recipe. I like juicy, almost soupy like dishes with lots of vegetables and too much meat and this chicken cacciatore easy is exactly that!
Process for this chicken easy recipe is so easy. And this dish is perfect for leftovers as the flavours merge better with time.
You can serve this as it or add some cooked potatoes, pasta or rice on a side. But I like this to be chicken dish with polenta. Polentas creamy texture works best with tender meat and vegetables in my opinion. You can use any type of polenta for this chicken cacciatore with polenta recipe.
For wine, for this chicken cacciatore with red wine, use good drinking wine. You will notice difference is the taste.
For the meat, you can use chicken breast but this chicken cacciatore with thighs is really best when you use chicken thighs as they get softer in comparison.
If you prefer you can also use only caned tomatoes but this chicken cacciatore with fresh tomatoes tastes much better and lighter if you are using fresh ones.
Then for the rest of the vegetables you can experiment but for this chicken cacciatore with peppers, peppers work nice. They end up being tender and sweet which is a nice complement to a little sour sauce (from the tomatoes).
Just before serving you can also add some olives. My husband is not a fan so I just add some to my plate. I like the briny flavour of the olives and prefer using green ones for this dish.
For more ideas – easy recipes and chicken recipes check out my Instagram and Pinterest where I post daily.
Chicken cacciatore with chicken thighs, vegetables and polenta
3 tbsp oil
6 chicken thighs (skinless, boneless)
1 brown onion
3 cloves of garlic
1 red pepper
1 yellow pepper
250 gr mushrooms
1 tsp dried thyme or fresh
1 tsp dried oregano
2 tbsp chopper parsley, fresh or frozen
400 gr cherry tomatoes
400 gr chopped tomatoes from a can
150 ml red wine
2 tbsp tomato paste
Chili to taste
Sal and pepper to taste
- For polenta
1 L water
250 gr polenta, white or yellow
Salt to taste
- Season chicken with salt and pepper. Cut onion and garlic not to finely. Cut carrots into slices, peppers into strips and tomatoes into halves. Chop fresh herbs if using.
- Heat up oil in a large skillet then add chicken and cook on medium-high until it develops colour on both sides. This takes 3-4 minutes on both sides. Remove from the pan and set aside.
- Add onion and cook until translucent. Then add garlic and cook for 30 seconds until it becomes more fragrant. Add carrots, pepper, mushrooms and herbs and cook for 5 minutes until vegetables start to soften a bit.
- Add wine and cook until it reduces. About 2 minutes.
- Add crushed tomatoes, halved fresh tomatoes, chilli and tomato paste. Season with salt and pepper. Add chicken. Reduce heat to simmering point then cover with a lid and cook for 40 minutes or until chicken is cooked through and tender.
- In the meantime, prepare polenta. Add water and salt to a medium size pot and bring to boil. Start adding polenta in slow stream, mixing with a wooden spoon as you go. Once you all of the polenta is in, reduce heat to simmering point and cook for around 30 minutes, mixing every 5 minutes. Polenta should end up being creamy and individual grains tender. If you like, stir in some butter and grated parmesan cheese before serving.
- When chicken is cooked through, just before serving, add parsley and enjoy while warm!
For more easy recipes with chicken check the links bellow!
Chicken tagine with dried apricots and couscous
Sweet chilli chicken with carrot potato mash, asparagus and tzaziki
Chicken skewers on bed of wild rice with grilled aubergine and zucchini served with guacamole and yoghurt sauce
Lunch box – pesto pasta with marinated chicken, Greek salad and baked tomatoes