Jump to Recipe
This dish is incredibly aromatic and full of flavor…from all the spices, most tender meat, sweet and soft apricots..
I like to sprinkle over couscous nuts – pistachios and almonds in particular and even more dried fruit. This makes for beautiful presentation!
With this tagine I like to serve pickles, but also fresh tomato and cucumber salad goes well and even white cabbage or green leaf salad.
Tagine with chicken and dried apricotsCourse: Savory dishes
900gr boneless and skinnless chicken thighs
1 medium brown onion
2 tsp ground cumin
1tsp ground coriander
Pinch of ground cinnamon
1/2tsp ground ginger
2tbsp tomato puree
1/2l chicken or vegetable stock
200gr dried apricots
Handful of fresh parsley or coriander
5 tbsp + 2 tbso oil
1/2 l water
1/2 chicken or vegetable stock cube
A handful of chopped skinless almonds
A handful of golden raisins
A handful of chopped pistachios
A handful of dried cranberries
- To a large pan add 5tbsp oil then heat it up to medium-high heat. Add chicken chicken thighs and fry on both sides until golden. This takes around 3 minutes on both sides. Season both sides with salt. Transfer to a plate.
- Chop onion, parsley or coriander, almond and pistachios. Wash dried apricots.
- To a large pan with high sides add oil where chicken was frying, chopped onion and fry on medium until onion becomes soft and translucent. Add ground cumin, coriander, cinnamon and ginger and stir for 30seconds or until spices warm through and become more aromatic. Then add tomato puree, stock, dried apricots, chicken and the juices from the plate where chicken was resting. Stir then bring to boil. When tagine starts to boil, reduce the heat to low, cover with a lid and simmer for 30 minutes.
- After 30 minutes of simmering, remove the lid, turn each piece of chicken over and continue simmering for another 30 minutes or until chicken is tender.
- In the meantime, bring water to boil, then dissolve half of a stock cube in it. Turn the heat off, then add olive oil and couscous. Stir, cover with a lid and let it sit for 5 minutes.
- Transfer couscous to a serving plate and top it with chopped almonds, pistachios, dried cranberries and raisins. Serve tagine in bowls and sprinkle over with some chopped parsley or coriander, alongside chopped almonds.