Experimenting in the kitchen is so much fun! And last time I decided to try something wild and crazy. Not my standard round mini donuts stuffed with jam but – square donuts filled with chocolate! 😀
I used my go-to donuts recipe for these square donuts stuffed with chocolate recipe. When I make regular round donuts, I like them to be chunky. But these square ones I rolled out thinly because I wanted then to be on a thinner side.
This easy donut recipe with yeast requires no machine or kneading. Just don’t add too much flour when you are rolling and cutting the dough. Less flour means fluffier and lighter donuts!
I have tried a few donut recipes and this one is by far the best donut recipe yeast. Donuts turn out fluffy and light every time! And there is not much work involved. No machine and no kneading.
Lemon zest is optional in this how to make square donuts recipe. I like adding it to the dough because it gives a bright flavor and cut through the sweetness.
And for the filling for these square donuts recipe, I used my go-to custard which I just added cacao powder to to get the chocolate flavor.
For coating, for these best chocolate donut recipe I used powdered sugar. It goes nicely with the chocolate filling and looks kind of festive too!
If you liked this square donuts filled with chocolate, leave me a comment and let me know!
For more food inspo check out my Instagram where I post daily and my Pinterest account.
Square Donuts Filled With ChocolateCourse: Desserts
180 ml milk
2,5 tsp dry jeast
50 gr caster sugar
3 egg yolks
½ tsp vanilla
30 gr butter
1 lemon zest
¼ tsp salt
330 gr flour + some for the working board
Vegetable oil for frying
Powdered sugar for serving
- For chocolate filling
250 ml milk
3 tbsp cacao powder
150 gr sugar
1 tsp vanilla
4 egg yolks
40 gr cornstarch (use less for runnier consistency)
12 gr butter
- Place milk in a small pot. Heat up until finger warm. Melt butter. Zest lemon.
- To a big bowl add warm milk, sugar and yeast. Stir briefly with a spoon then leave until bubbles form. This takes around 10 minutes.
- To the yeast add melted butter, egg yolks and vanilla. Mix in, using a wooden spoon just until combined.
- Add lemon zest and salt and mix once more.
- To the mixture add sifted flour in two batches. Mix after each addition, using a wooden spoon. Mix just until you no longer can see any more raw flour.
- Transfer the dough to a very well oiled big bowl. Cover with a kitchen towel and leave in a warm place until it doubles in size. This takes between 1 – 2 hours.
- Lightly dust working board with some flour. Place dough on top of it. Dust more flour on top of the dough. Using a rolling pin, roll out the dough pretty thinly. Cut into around 30 squares.
- Spread them apart, so that they have space to grow. Cover with a kitchen towel and leave to rise once more for around 30 minutes.
- In the meantime prepare the filling.
- Place milk and vanilla in a medium size pot. Turn heat to medium-high and bring just before boiling point.
- In the meantime add egg yolks, sugar and cornstarch to a bowl and mix, using electric mixer, until pale and fluffy.
- Start adding warm chocolate milk, in slow stream, to the egg mixture. And mix with hand whisk all the time. After you have added half of the milk mixture, pour all of it in to the eggs and mix briefly.
- Return egg and milk mixture to the same pot. Turn heat to medium and cook, while stirring with hand whisk all the time, until it starts to thicken. When the sauce starts to thicken, cook it for 5 second more, remove from the heat and transfer directly back to the bowl. Add butter and mix until combined. Cover and place in the fridge to cool.
- Fill small pot, 1/3 of the way with oil. Bring temperature up to 170 °C. Carefully, place three doughnuts, one at the time, in the hot oil. Fry for around 30 seconds on each side or until golden brown.
- Drain on a kitchen towel.
- Fill each donut with the chocolate filling, using a piping bag. Then dust over powdered sugar and enjoy!
For more dessert recipe check links below!
Cool TikTok Desserts | Sultanova Sarma | 3 Flavors No Bake Pudding Dessert
Pumpkin Oreo Cheesecake Brownies
Blueberry And Lemon No Bake Mini Cheesecake
Traditional Serbian Buns With Jam
5 Minute Puff Pastry Nutella Dessert