I have been on a hunt for perfect burger. And I am enjoying this time SO MUCH! 😀 Recently I have posted a recipe for Fish burger. Which is incredible! And today I am posting Halloumi burger recipe.
I am not a huge fan of meat so maybe that is why, but I feel like, with the meaty portobello mushroom and a piece of halloumi you really don´t miss meat! So this halloumi burger has been my choice for those non meat eating days.
If you can´t find portobello mushrooms for this burger with mushroom, you can use regular mushrooms. Just cut them into thicker slices and cook in the oven or up on the stove.
This halloumi portobello burger is so beautiful and colorful too! And it is very light in taste so it wont leave you feeling heavy afterwards.
Creamy component is a must for any burger. And for this halloumi portobello burger with aioli, I am using simple aioli but you can use mayo instead.
And to lift the whole dish, for this halloumi portobello burger with aioli and sweet chili sauce I like to add a drizzle of sweet chilli sauce. It adds more interest to the burger and it gives a nice glossy look too.
This portobello mushroom burger with halloumi is enough on it own, but of course the experience is complete when you serve some fries and ketchup on a side.
If you would like me to post more burger recipes, leave me a comment and let me know!
Halloumi burgerCourse: Savory dishes, Vegeterian
1 halloumi cheese
1 tbsp water
3 tbsp sesame seeds
2 hamburger buns
2 tsp aioli
2 handful arugula
2 portobello mushrooms
Salt and pepper
2 tbsp oil
1 red onion
100 ml vinegar
150 ml water
1 tbsp sugar
1 tsp salt
3 tbsp sweet chili sauce
- Cut onion into thin slices.
- In a bowl combine water, vinegar, sugar and salt. Add onion slices and leave in the fridge for at least one hour.
- Preheat the oven to 200°C. Brush each mushroom clean. Place both mushrooms on a pan, season and drizzle over with oil. Cook for 10min, turn then cook for 5 more minutes.
- Cut halloumi into six thick slices.
- In a small bowl combine egg and water.
- Dip each slice of cheese into egg mixture then coat with sesame seeds.
- Fry in a pan on medium heat, until golden brown on both sides.
- Place each hamburger bun half, face down, on a pan. On a medium heat, cook until warmed through and lightly brown.
- In a small pot, on medium heat, warm up sweet chilli sauce.
- To assemble, spread a teaspoon of aioli on top of lower bun half. Place arugula on top, tomato slices and some of the pickled onion. Then layer over portobello mushroom, fried halloumi, drizzle with sauce and close with the top part of the bun.
- Serve warm with some fries and ketchup.
For more meatless recipe check the links bellow!