Jump to Recipe
On Tuesday is Orthodox Christmas, which is the one I celebrate and these soft gingerbread cupcakes are perfect for the occasion! Their simple look and subtle colors go so well with clementines, oranges and other fruits of the season. And the smell of warm gingerbread spices, for as short as cupcakes are around, is a big plus! 😉
Spicy cupcakes with buttercream frostingCourse: Desserts
125 gr butter
2 tsp ground cinnamon
1 tsp ground ginger
1 tsp ground cloves
1/2 tsp cardamom
2,5 dl caster sugar
3/4 dl kefir/yogurt
1/2 dl milk
1 tsp bicarbonate of soda
3,5 dl plain flour
12 cupcake cases
340gr powdered sugar
- Preheat the oven at 175 °C.
- Place butter in a pot, turn on the heat and let it melt completely. Remove from heat then add cinnamon, cloves, ginger and cardamom. Leave to cool.
- In a small bowl combine flour with bicarbonate of soda.
- In a big bowl, using electric mixer, mix eggs and sugar until fluffy. Add kefir, milk, butter spicy butter, flour mixture and mix just until combined. Do not over mix.
- Transfer mixture into cupcake cases and bake for around 20min or until toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean.
- Leave to cool.
- In the meantime prepare the frosting.
- In a big bowl, using electric mixer, mix butter for at least 3-5min or until pale.
- Add sifted powdered sugar in two stages. Mix well, around 3min, after each addition. Add milk gradually until you reach desired consistency.
- Transfer frosting into piping bag and pipe thin layer of frosting onto each cupcake.