Jump to Recipe
This cake is very sweet, because of the almond paste, so lingonberries are perfect to balance the sweetness. And combination of saffron, sugar and tart berries is everything! I love bright yellow and pink/red – it’s so christmassy too!
Saffron cake with lingonberry frostingCourse: Desserts
200 gr soft butter
2,5 dl caster sugar
130 gr almond paste
1 gr saffron
1 tbsp water
2 dl yogurt (gräddfil)
1,5 tsp baking powder
1 tsp vanilla
1,5 dl almond flour
3 dl flour
50 gr soft butter
200 gr Philadelphia cheese
4 dl powdered sugar
1 tsp vanilla
2 dl lingonberries
- Preheat the oven at 200 ° C.
- Line a baking form with baking paper.
- Bring water to boil, remove from the heat then add saffron and let it sit until you need to use it.
- Grate almond paste.
- In a bowl combine all of the dry ingredients.
- In a big bowl add soft butter and sugar. Using electric mixer, mix until fluffy. Add almond paste, mix briefly. Add one egg at the time and mix briefly after each addition.
- Add saffron and yogurt and mix again.
- Add dry ingredients in 2-3 stages and mix briefly after each addition.
- Transfer the mixture to a baking form and bake for around 30min or until toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean. Leave to cool.
- In the meantime, in a bowl mix together butter, cheese and vanilla. Add powdered sugar in 2-3 stages and mix in between. Add half of the lingonberries then mix and crush them with the back of the spoon.
- When the cake is cooled down, spread the frosting over the top and finish with a sprinkle of the rest of the lingonberries.
- Cut into small squares.