Jump to Recipe
This is a Swedish Christmas classic. V makes this every year around this time, at least a couple of times. It is what I look most forward to at the Christmas table, aside from the sweets. 🙂 We have it with ham, beetroot salad, Swedish Christmas bread, meatballs, eggs, caviar, cornishon, peppers, mustard.. and more. 🙂
Jansson’s temptationCourse: Savory dishes
Around 1,5kg firm potatoes or enough to fill the pan
2 yellow onions
1 pack/80gr of anchovy fillets
2 tbsp oil
4-6 tbsp breadcrumbs
5 dl heavy cream or cream for savory dishes
- Preheat the oven at 225 ° C.
- Wash, peel and cut potatoes into french fry style peaces. Leave them in cold water for a short while, just so that they loose a bit of the starchiness.
- Slice the onions finely.
- Grease the pan then cover the bottom with half of the potatoes. On top, evenly spread onions and anchovies. Season with salt and pepper. Cover with second half of the potatoes, season. Drizzle over anchovies oil. Add half of the cream and sprinkle with breadcrumbs.
- Bake for 30min then add second half of the cream and bake for another 30min.
- Enjoy while warm or, for even creamier texture, leave for a couple of hours or even until the next day.