Finally, all the yummy fruit is in season and that also means pies! I enjoy the making process, they look beautiful when they are baked and taste heavenly. And this peach pie is so very peachy 😀
Peach pieCourse: Desserts
340 gr all purpose flour
1 tsp salt
255 gr cold unsalted butter
115 gr ice cold water
2 tsp apple cider vinegar
1 tbsp sugar
3 tbsp cornstarch
Juice of 1/2 lemon
Pinch of salt
Coarse yellow sugar
- Cut butter into cubes. Sift flour. Combine water and vinegar.
- In a bowl, add flor, salt and butter. Using your finger tips, combine the ingredients. Most of the butter should be in small pieces and some should be flattened bigger pieces. Add half of the wet mixture to the dry and using a fork, work it in to the dough. Add gradually rest of the wet mixture and stop when you can take a handful of the dough and make a ball.
- Transfer the dough to the working surface, divide into two, form a disk out of each piece, cover with plastic wrap and leave in the fridge between 1 hour to over night.
- After the dough has had time to rest, take one part of it out of the fridge, remove the plastic wrap and place it on a lightly floured working surface. Roll it out to 0.5cm thick and around 2-3cm wider than the pie pan on all sides. Transfer the dough to the pie pan and leave in the fridge while you continue with the rest.
- Roll out the second part of the dough and using a knife, make strips 2-3cm wide.
- In a bowl combine all of the ingredients for the filling. Depending on how sweet peaches are add lemon and sugar to taste.
- Take the pie pan with the dough in it out of the fridge and fill it with the filling. Cover with the intertwined strips. To see how, click on the link for the video in the beginning of this post. Cut off any excess dough on the sides, leaving enough to make the edges. Crimp the edges. Leave the pie in the fridge or freezer for around 15min before baking.
- Brush top of the pie with beaten egg and sprinkle over with sugar.
- Place the pie on a baking paper lined baking dish.
- Put the pie in the 220º C preheated oven, on a lower rack for around 15min, then lower the temp to 200º C and continue baking for around 40-50min or until the crust is golden brown.
- Leave to cool before serving for at least 1-2 hours.
- Serve with vanilla ice cream.