Every Easter this stew is on the menu alongside Serbian gibanica, freshly baked bread and some salad. Very simple and very delicious! And eggs, of course. 🙂 Recipe for those is coming next week. Until then, I hope you try this easy to make and very comforting dish. Also, this is Italian stew so you know it´s good. 😉
Lamb stewCourse: Savory dishes
1,3 kg lamb leg or shoulder (I added 2 bones for extra flavor)
400 gr frozen peas
2 yellow onions
3 celery stalks
4 cloves of garlic
3-4 dl vegetable stock
400 gr cherry tomatoes
small bunch of thyme
2 dl white wine
2 tbsp white wine vinegar
1 tsp ground chili or 1 fresh chili pepper
2 tbsp olive oil
3-4 anchovies fillets
- Cut meat in to bite size chunks.
- Chop onions, celery and carrots-not to finely. Finely chop garlic.
- In a large pot with high sides add olive oil, anchovies and meat. Season and stir briefly. Cook on medium-high heat until anchovies dissolve and meat is seared.
- Add chopped vegetables, chili, thyme and wine. Let the wine evaporate. Then add vinegar. Cover with a lid and cook for 20min on medium heat.
- Meanwhile, cut potatoes into chunks and prepare the broth if using a cube.
- Add the potatoes then season them. Add whole tomatoes and broth. Stir and cover with lid. Cook for ca 40min on medium-low or until the meat is tender and potatoes are cooked through.
- Serve with a drizzle of olive oil, a few thyme leaves and freshly baked bread.