Ever since I made those chocolate, strawberry and passion fruit cupcakes I couldn’t stop thinking about them! Cherries are my second favorite fruit and since I had a pack of frozen ones in the freezer I decided to use them. These are what I came up with! Insanely fragrant and colorful, irresistibly sweet and sour and a total dream!
Cherry almond cupcakesCourse: Desserts
90 g flour
30 g ground almonds
1/4 tsp bicarbonate of soda
125 g brown sugar
125 g soft unsalted butter
- Cherry jam
350 g fresh or frozen cherries
1 tbsp brown sugar
Zest of 1 lemon
juice from 1/2 lemon (depending on how sour the cherries are)
100 g soft unsalted butter
400 g sifted icing sugar
3-4 tbsp cherry jam
1-2 tbsp cherry jam
A handful of chopped skinless almonds
- In a bowl sift together flour, almond flour, sugar and baking soda. Add eggs, butter then using electric mixer, mix on medium speed for around 1 min.
- Stop to add milk then continue mixing on high speed for around 30 sec.
- Divide the dough into cupcake cases and bake on 170C for 20-22 min or until they are springy to touch.
- In a pan add cherries, sugar, lemon zest and juice. Place on medium to high heat, bring to boil. Let it boil for a couple of min then crush the cherries using a fork. Continue boiling for around 25 min or until it thickens. Remove from the heat then using a blender, blend until smooth.
- In a bowl add butter and mix with electric mixer for around 5min or until it becomes pale. Add sifted icing sugar in 2-3 stages and mix for 3-5 min between each addition. Add jam and mix until it evenly distributed.
- Using apple corer or peeler, remove center of each cake. Add a teaspoon of jam into each hole.
- Place frosting into a piping bag and pipe a generous amount on to each cake. Top with a teaspoon of jam and some chopped almonds.