Summer fruit season is dessert season for me. 😊 And this time I combined tart rhubarb with sweet and tart strawberries and made this so very juicy rhubarb crisp.
Often in desserts I like to use combination of muscovado and caster sugar. Muscovado sugar gives more depth to desserts and almost caramel like flavor which I like.
And for crisp topping I used flaked almonds. I like the crunchiness they give and I also like that they don´t have too strong taste. But any nuts you like will work.
Then to serve, since it´s almost summer I like to use ice cream, good vanilla ice cream preferably. I had some mint left over so I added some for pop of green, sprinkled over with powdered sugar and since there was crisp left over, I sprinkled it over the ice cream. I think the bowl of crisp looked very yummy that way!
This rhubarb crisp is best enjoyed while still warm but trust me it is delicious even cold and even next day!
Rhubarb crispCourse: Desserts
- Main ingredients
620 gr rhubarb
330 gr strawberries
50 gr muscovado sugar
50 gr caster sugar
30 gr corn-starch
2 tbsp lemon juice
1 tsp vanilla
- For the crisp
50gr muscavado sugar
50gr caster sugar
100gr flaked almonds
- Cut rhubarb and strawberries into roughly same size smaller chunks. Place in a big bowl, add both kinds of sugar, cornstarch, lemon juice and vanilla. Mix with a spoon and leave on a side.
- In a medium size bowl add flour, salt, sugar and mix in. Break any big lumps of sugar. Add butter and using pastry cutter, fork or your fingers brake pieces of butter and combine with the flour mixture. Add rye and almonds and mix in again.
- Cover bottom of a baking dish with fruit, leave the juice behind. Sprinkle over with the crisp mixture.
- If there is any mixture left over, place it in a smaller baking dish and bake bellow the crisp. I use it to serve and sprinkle over ice cream.
- Bake the crisp at 180°C for around 40minutes or until top is lightly brown and juices are bubbling on the sides.
- Remove from the oven and let sit for around 10minutes.
- Serve warm with more fresh strawberries, some good vanilla ice cream, piece of mint and a sprinkle of powdered sugar and the left over crisp.