This one comes together in 15 minutes and is full of flavor! This is creamy orzo pasta recipe with shrimp.
Bacon is optional but it gives more flavor and goes so well with seafood. Aside from shrimp I have used calamari and mussels for more texture. Peas give lovely pop of color to the dish. And the whole dish is so creamy and vibrant both in color and in flavor. Lemon lift the whole dish and makes everything taste better.
This dish transports me to Greece. Last year we were in Paxos and I ordered this dish. It is island specially. So, as summer is almost here, I am thinking more of Greece and I wanted to recreate the dish.
This orzo is enough on its own but it also goes well with Greek salad.
Orzo pasta recipe with shrimpCourse: Savory dishes
100 gr bacon
1 brown onion
1 tsp garlic paste or 2 cloves of garlic
1 tsp ground chili or 1 fresh
250 gr orzo pasta
4 dl can of crushed tomatoes
1 tsp dried oregano
1 l vegetable stock
250 gr defrosted seafood (mussels, shrimp, calamari)
2-3 dl frozen peas
1 tbsp chopped parsley
2 tbsp olive oil
- Cut bacon into small pieces, chop onion and garlic.
- To a large pan add olive oil, turn heat to medium then add bacon and cook until it gets some color and releases its juices.
- Then add onion, garlic and chili and cook until onions soften and garlic becomes fragrant.
- Add orzo, stir briefly then add tomatoes, pepper, oregano, stock and mix. Turn heat to high and bring to boil then reduce to simmering point and cook for 8minutes.
- Add defrosted seafood, peas and parsley. Stir and cook for 2 more minutes.
- Serve warn with extra drizzle of olive oil and a squeeze of lemon juice.