Summer fruit season has started and in celebration I made these very summery looking cupcakes!
When it comes to desserts cupcakes are the full experience. And these ones are with airy vanilla base, strawberry jam, cream cheese frosting, sweet and tart strawberry sauce and fresh strawberry on top. All healthy, with no sugar!
I tried this frosting with white chocolate and I didn’t like it. Chocolate didn’t hide the taste of coconut so there where to many flavors going on. Cream cheese hides the taste of coconut and it tastes more like traditional frosting which I like.
I love baking with summer fruit, and I am looking forward to baking more this summer. But for now, this will be my go-to dessert also guilt free and delicious!
Vanilla cupcakes with strawberry filling and cream cheese frostingCourse: Desserts
400 gr strawberries
2 tbsp honey
2 tbsp chia seeds
1 tsp honey
1 can coconut milk
2 tbsp cream cheese
- For 12 cakes
1,2 dl honey
1 tsp vanilla
6,5 dl almond flour
1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp baking soda
6 strawberries for decoration
- Cut strawberries into halves/quarters. Place in a small pot, add honey then turn heat to medium heat. Stir occasionally. Cook until strawberries soften then mash them with potato masher.
- Continue cooking on medium and bring to slow boil. When bubbles start to appear add chia, mix and continue cooking on low for around 10-15minutes or until jam thickness.
- Transfer to a jar and leave to cool.
- Jam will thicken even more as it cools down.
- Place strawberries in a bowl and puree with handheld mixer or do the same in a blender.
- Transfer to a small pot, add honey then bring to boil. Cook until it reduces and thickness. Leave to cool.
- The sauce will thicken more as it cools so leave it on a runnier side.
- Transfer to a plastic bag and cut of the end to be able to drizzle the sauce.
- Leave coconut milk in refrigerator over night. Open the can and take out the hard part. Discard the liquid.
- Mix using electric mixer. Add cream cheese and mix until smooth.
- Leave in refrigerator until it’s time to use it.
- Line baking tray with cupcakes cases. Preheat the oven to 175 °C.
- In a medium size bowl add almond flour, vanilla, salt, baking soda and mix just to combine.
- In a large bowl add eggs and mix using electric mixer until frothy. Add honey and mix in briefly then add dry ingredients and mix with spatula just until combined.
- Fill each cupcake case 2/3 full then bake for around 18minutes or until toothpick inserted comes out clean.
- Leave to cool completely.
- Remove the middle part portion from the cakes and fill wholes with jam.
- Using palette knife, spread frosting on top of each cake. Drizzle over with some of the sauce and place one strawberry half on top of each.