This easy chocolate sheet cake with ganache and coconut shavings is one of the first Swedish recipes I learned how to make. And I make it often because it´s so easy and quick to make!
Original recipe calls for a 100 gr of chopped chocolate to be sprinkled on top of batter just before baking. This adds more moisture to the cake, and I like it If I am going to serve the cake warm. But if I am making this cake for a couple of days then I don´t add additional chocolate. This is because when the cake cools down it still stays very moist (even the next day) and the chopped chocolate hardens. And I just don´t think that hard bits of chocolate go well with the moist cake.
Also, originally this cake is baked in a wider pan, baking time is 15 minutes and cake ends up being thinner. I like to bake it in a smaller pan and get slightly thicker cake.
For the ganache you can use milk chocolate. For me the cake itself is pretty sweet so dark chocolate works better in combination.
You can serve this cake as is or add some fresh cut fruit with it. Strawberries or berries in general are perfect!
Easy chocolate sheet cake with ganache and coconut shavingsCourse: Desserts
250 gr caster sugar
230 gr flour
1,5 tsp baking powder
2,5 tbsp cacao
150 gr butter
100 ml water at room temp
100 ml heavy cream
100 gr dark chocolate
100 gr coconut shavings
- Melt butter. Leave to cool slightly.
- Grease and line oven form with baking paper.
- In a big bowl add eggs and sugar. Mix using electric mixer until fluffy and pale.
- Sift in flour, cacao and baking powder and mix to combine using a spatula.
- Add melted butter, water and mix again with a spatula until combined.
- Bake for 21 minutes. Toothpick inserted should come out with some crumbs on it.
- For ganache, add cream to a small pot, turn heat to medium-high and bring to simmering point. Turn the heat off, add chocolate and let it sit for a couple of minutes. Stir with a spoon until smooth.
- Let cake and ganache cool down for a few minutes.
- Spread ganache all over the cake and sprinkle over with coconut shavings.
- Cut into squares and enjoy!