These crab cakes with sauce are perfect for summer. They are easy to make and there is not a lot of cooking involved. They are very light in taste since there is not much “breading” on them. And the taste is bright because of mustard and lemon.
Usually I serve them with potato wedges and arugula salad but this time I served them with tangy tartar sauce and some caviar.
For this recipe I used surimi, or fake crab meat. It is way cheaper and for me easier to find. But you can use real meat if you prefer.
Cakes store well in the fridge for a few days and I enjoy they even cold.
What do you like to have your crab cakes with?
Crab cakes recipe with sauceCourse: Savory dishes
- Tartar sauce
2,3 dl mayo
3 tbsp chopped pickled cucumber
2 tbsp chopped fresh dill
1 tbsp lemon juice
1/2 tbsp mustard
1 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
0,8 dl mayo
2 tbsp mustard
1/2 tbsp hot sauce
1tsp Worcestershire sauce
1,8dl breadcrumbs (I used panko)
500gr surimi (fake crab meat) or you can you real crab meat
2 tbsp fresh chopped parsley
3 tbsp caviar
Oil for frying
- For the sauce, add all the ingredients to a medium size bowl and mix with a spoon. Leave in the fridge.
- For the binding mixture for the cakes, in a medium size bowl add egg, mayo, mustard, Worcestershire sauce, salt, pepper and hot sauce them mix with a spoon to combine.
- In a medium size bowl brake, the surimi into smaller pieces or you can do it in a food processor.
- Transfer to a bigger bowl, add binding mixture, breadcrumbs, parsley and pepper and mix with a spoon to combine.
- Form around 8 cakes/patties.
- In a large pan heat up oil to medium heat then add the cakes in two batches and cook until golden brown on each side. Mine were chunky so it took 4minutes on each side. Cooking time depends on how thick the cakes are.
- Serve warm with some tartar sauce on top, a teaspoon of caviar and some lemon wedges.