The cake part is so soft and I don´t understand how it is holding its shape. Frosting is aromatic, sweet and pretty looking, it is almost flirty. Those few drops of passion fruit on top add a layer of freshness and tanginess this sweet dream needs. These really are a dream!
Chocolate cupcakes with strawberry frosting and passion fruitCourse: Desserts
52 gr unsalted butter at room temperature
128 gr brown sugar
56 gr dark chocolate
2 egg yolks
170 gr + 1 tbsp oil
2 tsp vanilla
113 gr sour cream
136 gr all purpose flour
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp baking soda
64 gr cocoa powder
170 gr water at room temperature
250 gr strawberries fresh or frozen
50 gr brown sugar
550 gr flour sugar
90 gr soft unsalted butter
180 gr Philadelphia cheese at room temperature
3-5 passion fruits
- Preheat the oven to 175°.
- Using electric mixer, mix sugar and butter until combined, it should look like wet sand in the end.
- Melt the chocolate and let cool until finger warm then add it to the sugar and butter mixture and combine.
- Mix in the eggs and the yolks one at the time until just combined.
- Mix in oil, vanilla and sour cream until just combined.
- Sift together flour, salt, baking powder and cocoa powder then mix with the fork. Add to wet mixture in three additions mixing until just combined.
- Mix in water until just combined.
- Fill the cupcakes forms until 2/3 full then bake. Check after 18min, if the toothpick comes out clean take them out and let cool.
- In a small pot combine strawberries and sugar, turn the heat up to medium-high so that fruit starts to boil. Lower the temperature and simmer until it thickens.
- Strain the jam if you don’t want any fruit chunks in the frosting.
- In a large bowl add butter and cheese then using electric mixer mix until combined.
- Add sifted flour sugar in two stages and mix for 3-5min after each addition.
- Add 3-5 tbsp of the strawberry jam or until you reach the color that you want the frosting to be. Mix until just combined.
- Using a spatula, add a big dollop of frosting on to each cake and spread it out evenly. Make the top of the frosting layer flat with a dent for passion fruit to sit in. Add a tsp of passion fruit on to each cake.