Jump to Recipe
Last weekend I did some empty the pantry baking and these Carrot cake cupcakes with cream cheese frosting are the result!
I like my cupcakes light and airy, fluffy and sweet and these carrot cake cupcakes with cream cheese frosting are exactly it! They also look really cute with thin strings of bright orange carrots peaking through the batter and those few nut jewels sitting on layers of creamy frosting.
These cupcakes are perfect treat all year around, but I like to bake them in Spring, right around Easter holiday.
For these cupcakes I used ingredients I already had in my pantry. So instead of ground walnuts for the cake part and crushed walnuts for decorating I used ground almonds and crushed hazelnuts. But I would have preferred to use ground walnuts because they would give cakes more character. Anyway, these were delicious and they didn’t stick around for long! 😊
In the video I give you my tips for best frosting and also a few general tips which I like to apply every time I bake.
You don´t need to use piping bag to decorate cupcakes with. You can spread frosting on top with just using a palate knife. Just make sure to make a little flat top for the nuts.
These carrot cake cupcakes with cream cheese frosting store well for even up to few days. But they taste best just after they are baked.
Carrot cake cupcakes with cream cheese frostingCourse: Desserts
5 dl plain flour
3,5 dl ground walnuts or almonds
3 dl muscovado sugar
5 dl grated carrots
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp cinnamon
Pinch of grated nutmeg
1/2 tsp salt
3 dl sunflower oil
150 gr butter
80 gr cream cheese
500 gr powdered sugar
Handful of crushed walnuts/almonds/hazelnuts for decorating
- Line cupcake form with cupcake cases. Preheat oven at 200 °C. Finely grate carrots.
- In a big bowl sift together flour, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, nutmeg. Add ground nuts and mix to combine.
- In a big bowl add sugar and eggs. Mix using electric mixer just until combined and a little frothy. Add oil slowly as you keep mixing. Add grated carrots and mix with spatula just until combined.
- Gradually add dry ingredients to wet while mixing with spatula the whole time.
- Distribute the batter into cupcake cases, filling each 2/3 full. Bake for around 18minutes or until toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean. Let cool completely.
- In a big bowl add butter and cream cheese at room temperature. Mix, using electric mixer, for around 5minutes or until butter becomes pale.
- Add sifted powdered sugar in two stages and mix for around 5minutes after each addition.
- Using a reusable piping bag, pipe frosting on top of the cakes then sprinkle with chopped nuts.