Jump to Recipe
This is THE softest cake EVER! Light as a cloud, beautifully moist, intensely citrusy and so sweet! Also perfect for this season.
Clementine cakeCourse: Desserts
4 eggs at room temperature
1 lemon skin
2 organic clementines weighing up to 200gr together
100 ml olive oil
160 gr caster sugar
175 gr ground almonds
2 tsp baking powder
1 tbsp caster sugar
1 lemon juice
2 dl powdered sugar
6 tbsp syrup candied clementines were cooking in
- Candied clementines
3 organic clementines
5 dl caster sugar
2 dl water
- Wash clementines and place them in a small pot, cover with water and bring to boil. Lower the heat to simmering point and simmer until tender. This takes around 20min. Drain then blend in food processor.
- For the candied clementines, cut the clementines in to thin slices. In a pot with high sides add sugar and water, cook until sugar dissolves. Add clementine slices and simmer for around 20min. Take the slices out, place them on a baking paper and leave to dry.
- Preheat the oven at 180 °C. Line 20cm round baking tin with baking paper.
- In a bowl, using electric mixer, mix eggs, sugar and lemon zest until pale and fluffy. Add oil and mix briefly. Stir in clementine mixture then fold in ground almonds and baking powder. Transfer to the baking tin. Bake for around 50min or until golden brown and springy to the touch. Leave to cool slightly.
- In the meantime, in a small pot combine sugar and lemon juice, bring to boil and cook until sugar dissolves. Using toothpick, make many small holes in the cake then drizzle over evenly with the syrup. Leave to cool.
- Combine powdered sugar and sugar water candied clementines were cooking in then drizzle over the cooled cake.
- Decorate with candied clementines and enjoy!